DH in East Asia

Basically, DH field was foreign to me because I don’t have computer science background. Throughout the class discussion, reading materials, and workshops, I ended up having a better understanding of DH. I want to share additional information from my paper.

Overall, DH has been globally stretched.
The basic methodologies of DH have been applied in East Asian Digital Humanities Institutions regarding mostly cultural and historical contents. e.g.) Taiwan, Japan, Korea

1. Taiwan.
Taiwanese DH scholars organized historical and political events through data mining and the DH scholars focused on organizing the historical materials relating to the people of China and Taiwan in the Qing Dynasty.
In addition, Taiwan founded the Digital Libraries/ Museums Program (DLMP) in 1998. This organization’s goal was to digitalize the cultural heritage and created a new program called National Digital Archives Program (NDAP).

2. Japan.

There is a proper example of how social network service worked efficiently during the natural disaster in Japan. During the 3.11 Tohoku earthquake disaster in 2011, Japanese SNS users at that time gathered the precise locational information on Twitter and were able to alarm the relief of tsunami victims.

67

3. Korea

Korea is benefited from data visualization in history department. In particular, data visualization help organizing family trees during Joseon Dynasty.

PIC7662

PIC7683

These figures illustrates the transformation form paper work to digitized form.

Korea, in fact, is known as a strong IT country, but the researches on humanity fields are largely marginalized. Overall, Korean academic puts more emphasis on Science and Technology field. DH in Korea should be balanced between computation and humanity to maximize useful information.