Archives

Link

As I have shared in the class, I am a social worker by training and am interested in looking at equity in urban education.  I also have three children ages 14, 12 and 9, all of which have had to use the internet for homework one time or another this school year.  I am fortunate that I am able to afford to have internet access at home.Unfortunately there are many children in New York City schools who are not as fortunate.  Selena and I partnered to work on our data visualization project with the intention of learning a few new things to eliminate our phobia for technology.  We also were interested in looking at public schools, their locations as they compare to where free wi-fi is located.  We both attended the Neatline workshop and thought we would use it for the data visualization project.  To our dismay, we could not figure out how to plot the data onto Neatline and decided to go with using CARTODB instead.  We decided to take our data visualization project and use it towards a proposal for a free wifi access awareness and social action project.  Our hope is to get more free wifi access in low to moderate areas for the purpose of ensuring that all children have access to the tools that will help them succeed academically.

After many hours of troubleshooting, we finally figured it out.  We are proud to show you our final product:

https://smw.cartodb.com/viz/e6095f6c-80ec-11e4-9bef-0e9d821ea90d/embed_map

Here we decided to add a Torque feature to make the map more appealing to the eye:

https://smw.cartodb.com/tables/nyc_free_public_wifi_12052014/public/map

Since some of you may be interested in using Neatline I added a link whereas David McClure gave us step by step instructions on how to to download Neatline as well as in putting data into Neatline.  I thought I would share the information for all of you:

Instructions for downloading Omeka + Neatline: (By David McClure)

Have a wonderful rest of the year!
Cindy
Link

Hi All,

Cannot wait to see you all for this last class! I want to say that I know this is a busy time for everyone, and I do not want to add to your plate. But if you can find a few minutes to read through this request, follow the link and provide top-of-mind texts it would be immensely helpful for me and anyone else interested in analyzing this data. If this project interests you I’ll be maintaining a link to the spreadsheet on my Commons profile, so anyone can play with it.

Request:

Social Citation intends to map the personal connections that give rise to the dissemination of influential texts. At this data gathering stage, I ask that you please share with me the texts that have been significant to your work–either intellectually or aesthetically engaging in a way that was somehow transformative for you. This can be as comprehensive or as bare-bones as you like. To share the texts please follow this link: bit.ly/socialcitationdata and find your name among the tabs at the bottom of the page. Your name will appear as it is on your Academic Commons Profile. Next, list the author along side the text. Then, under referrer, the person who referred you to the text (use NA if found yourself), the location of the discovery (if outside of an institution please write city and state, if the text was encountered within an institution please just include the institution). Finally, list the duration of time spent in that place or institution. An example might look like:

Graphs Maps and Trees Franco Moretti Matt Gold_Stephen Brier CUNY 2014-Present
Hyper Cities Todd Presner_David Shepard_Yoh Kawano Matt Gold_Stephen Brier CUNY 2014-Present
Planned Obsolescence Kathleen Fitzpatrick Matt Gold_Stephen Brier CUNY 2014-Present
Feel free to use these to start your list if you care to. Thank you for your time. I will keep this link open so the data may be used by anyone to experiment with network maps and visualizations of your own.

Thanks!